(1) Florida Manatee Status Statement by the Manatee Population Status Working Group, 28 April 2000.
(2) Ackerman, B.B. 1995. Aerial surveys of manatees: a summary and progress report. Pages 13-33 in T.J. O'Shea, B.B. Ackerman, and H.F. Percival, editors. Population biology of the Florida manatee. National Biological Service Information and Technology Report 1.
(3) United States Fish and Wildlife Service. 1996. Florida Manatee Recovery Plan (Trichechus manatus latirostris). [Second Revision - Originally approved April 15, 1980]. Prepared by the Florida Manatee Recovery Team for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Atlanta, Georgia. 160 pp.
(4) Marmontel, M. 1993. Age determination and population biology of the Florida manatee, Trichechus manatus latirostris. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Florida, Gainesville, 408 pp.
(5) Ackerman, B.B., S. D. Wright, R.K. Bonde, D.K. Odell, and D. Banowetz. 1992. Trends and patterns in manatee mortality in Florida, 1974-1991. P. 22 in Interim report of the technical workshop on manatee population biology (T.J. O’Shea, B.B. Ackerman, and H.F. Percival, eds.). Manatee Population Research Report No. 10. Florida Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, University of Florida, Gainesville, 83 pp.
(6) Manatee Salvage Database, January 1974 – July 1986 USGS, Biological Resources Division, Sirenia Project; July 1986 – 2000, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida Marine Research Institute
(7) Bolen, M. E., et. al. 1999. A Comparison of Techniques Uses in Determining Ages of the Florida Manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris). Abstract from the proceedings of the 13th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals
(8) Bolen, M. E. 1998. Age Determination of the Florida Manatees, Trichechus manatus latirostris, Killed by the 1996 Red Tide Epizootic in Southwestern Florida. Abstract from the proceedings of the World Marine Mammal Conference.
(9) Save the Manatee Trust Fund, Annual Report, 1999-2000
(10) Sirenews, Number 34, October 2000. Daryl P. Doming, editor Newsletter of the IUCN/SSC Sirenia Specialist Group.
(11) Bell, F. W. and M. McLean, 1997, The Effect of Manatee Speed Zones on Property Values, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
(12) Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 1976 – 1999, Vessel Registrations.